864-772-6104

Fire Damage Cleanup – Common Causes Of House Fires In Greenville

fire damage cleanup greenville, fire damage greenvilleIf your home in Greenville suffers from a fire, the aftermath can be devastating. Since fires can start at any time, and from a number of causes, it is important to know the most common causes of house fires and what you can do to take precautions in your home and for your family. At Premier Restoration, we want to help you become aware of just some of the common causes of house fires so you can take the proper preventative steps.

  1. Cooking

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, cooking is the cause of half of all house fires across the country. The kitchen is full of flammable objects, and when you mix that with the high temperatures used to cook food, and all the different appliances that are used, it is no wonder that this is the place where most fires originate. To be proactive with fire safety in the kitchen, the first thing you should do is never leave food that is cooking unattended. Second is to keep cooking equipment and appliances clean. Build up on stovetops, in ovens, toasters, and in microwaves are flammable and can lead to fires. The third way you can prevent fires from cooking in the kitchen is to keep flammable objects away from the stove and any other heat sources. Be sure to use caution whenever you are cooking in the kitchen, and keep a fire extinguisher nearby. The smoke and soot that linger even after a small kitchen fire will require professional fire damage cleanup services to properly clean the area.

  1. Heating

Heating devices are the second most common cause of fire damage. Space heaters left unattended in rooms and placed too close to flammable objects can start fires without you even being aware until it’s too late. You should be sure that space heaters are a safe distance from any other objects, and turn them off when you leave the room. Wood stoves and chimneys need to be kept clean and maintained to prevent fires. Obstructions and buildup in fires can prove catastrophic. Never leave any heating elements on unattended. 

  1. Carelessness

Unintentional fires caused by careless mistakes are the third most common cause of house fires. Mistakes happen, and no one is perfect, but negligence when it comes to potential fire hazards is something we can all work on and should become more aware of. Candles left burning while unattended, heating devices left near combustible items, failing to put out cigarettes completely, being careless in the kitchen, not storing matches and lighters in safe areas out of reach of children, and failing to turn off gas tanks when no longer in use are just a few of examples of the careless actions that often lead to fire damage.

  1. Electrical Malfunction

Frayed wires, damaged cords, and overloading electrical outlets can cause electrical malfunctions that can lead to fires. Damaged wiring and exposed wires need to be replaced before using. Do not over-plug  your outlets. When too much current is running through a single outlet or extension cord, it can overheat, spark, and start a fire. If you have too many cords that need power in one area, like at the TV entertainment center, you should use a surge protector to ensure there is no current overload. If cords feel hot after being plugged in for too long, unplug them and do not use them again until they cool down.

Professional Fire Damage Cleanup In Greenville

Even following every precaution will not guarantee your home will be safe from fires. If you find yourself dealing with a house fire in Greenville, Premier Restoration is here to provide the best fire damage cleanup around. We know how overwhelming and traumatic fires are, so we will work as quickly as possible to cleanup your home and get your life back to normal.